Friday 8 March 2013

In the beginning there were weeds... Part 4.

 
 
Well now there comes a bit of a gap in the story because after I got the Cabbage and Cauliflower in (shown below growing away nicely)  I started experimenting with a load of seeds I knew would be too late to start but forgot to document any of it with pictures.
 
 
The Leeks (Volta) however made me happy and were growing nicely apart from a small infestation of alium leaf miners so I used a tip from the growfruitandveg.co.uk forums to cut the leeks down to ground level.  Look carefully for the ahem 'mistake' of forgetting where I planted a row of Beetroot as well.
 

                                                                 
A quick written recap of what happened in the intervening months is in order I feel.

The Leeks did great and I started pulling them in November they were at worst an inch thick and best so far almost 3 inches and out of approximately 100 I sowed we have now eaten about 40 so plenty left to go although I may have to give them away if they show signs of bolting.

The Cabbages did o.k while not reaching amazing sizes they tasted great and out of around 10 planted we have 3 left that are undersized and I am hoping will put on a growth spurt with the recent sun.

The Cauliflower well, I had 1 Cauliflower so far and the rest have failed to heart up at all which is almost certainly a consequence of the late sowing but as I daren't peel back the spiral of leaves it could be slugs eating them out before they can grow.

Which bring us upto this year.  Roll on 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment