Friday 8 March 2013

2013 Wet and Wild or Fun in the Sun?

 
None of us know what this year will hold but for me I gained a second plot at the end of last year which means I can take more gambles than the staple crops like Potatoes, Leeks, Beetroot etc.

I have now got both the beds fully dug over, sowed a row of beetroot and transplanted some self seeded Chard from the other plot into a nice neat row and am hoping it will be productive and taste nice as it is probably crossed with god knows what.
 
 
The bed shown above I intend to have a salad section with successional sowing (Lettuce, Beetroot, Spring onion etc) at the back and the front I will plant a block of sweetcorn. I haven't worked out the spacing exactly yet but i am hoping to fit in 6 plants wide by 5 plants deep giving us theoretically 30 plants with 2-3 cobs per plant to fill up the chest freezer with!
I intend to try a 3 sisters idea with the sweetcorn (well 2 sisters) and grow some mange tout or French beans up the corn for an experiment.
 
 
The bed above I am going to fill with potatoes, yes that's a lot of tatties.
Rocket for first earlies
Desiree and Sarpo Mira for Main crop
Will fit in as many as I can.
 
I will be planting the first earlies 16th/17th March and then the main crops good Friday 29th March, my only concern will be getting to the allotment every other day to make sure they aren't poking their heads above ground and risking a frosting.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment