Friday 5 July 2013

Harvesting time.....

Well I just got back from 10 days on the Isle of Wight on Monday with mostly great weather so I was in a good mood but had a nagging dread when I got to the allotment it would be a nightmare tangle of weeds.
  I got to the allotment expecting a shock at the weed growth only to find as it had been quite dry that it wasn't too bad at all so Bonus!
 
My first harvest was of 2 Rocket first early plants which I got almost 2kg from, not quite so 'new' potato anymore but regardless they tasted great.
 
Here are the remains of 1kg of shelled peas (Kelvedon wonder) that took a lonnnnggg time, we have had them every night since we got home with tea.
 
This was followed quickly by 300g of mange tout (Golden sweet)
 
And finally this morning I picked a fruit medley from our plants, I will look up recipes for a kind of open tart I think as they should really be done justice with a decadent dessert.
 
 
All in all worth coming home to I think, although I will say my main crops have suffered somewhat from the lack of rain lately an need a thorough soaking.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment