Tuesday 2 April 2013

Easter weekend fun .

Easter weekend was cold but importantly it was dry and had been for a few days which meant I could really get stuck in on the allotment doing jobs, so much for 4 days off!.
 
 
Below is one of my original beds which I extended by 5ft to the left after measuring and finding out my 30ft x45ft 5 rod plot was actually only 25ft by 45ft  just over 4 rods with the path included.  I also dug it all over, weeded and put in some Chard from home as well as some very leggy  mange tout (Golden Sweet) peas which I don't expect to do much but they might recover.
 
This is the bed where my sweetcorn will be going in and I covered it with a layer of manure and bedding which is quite fresh and ordinarily I wouldn't do as it is a no no however seeing as the weather has been so cold with no signs of change I am gambling on it being later in the ground.  The sweet corn goes in around June and the manure will have the burn chance taken out of it by then and as a side bonus it will be acting as a weed mulch. 
(bottom right corner you can see a mass patch of scallions, so easy to grow and fire and forget really no care needed) 
 
The picture below shows my first fruiting area which is red currant, white currant, black currant and rasperberry .  I intend to build a fruit cage around this area as I lost a majority of currants particularly to birds last year, undecided yet wether to make with chicken wire or 1" gap pea netting obviously there is a big cost difference but the chicken wire should last years whereas the pea netting might only last 1 or 2 seasons.

 
 
Although I don't have pictures I also cleared up my strawberry bed and I am debating wether to dig them all up and then lay weed membrane to plant through. Weeding a strawberry patch without disturbing them is a serious pain due to their shallow rooting and keeps fruit cleaner but the downside is the membrane makes a nice safe home for slugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment